Iranian responses to assassination of Fakhrizadeh, the Father of Iranian nuclear bomb program
Father of Iranian Bomb, head of Iran’s nuclear weapon program, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, assassinated November 27, 2020 in Absard, East of Tehran: Iranian responses
Dr. Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was assassinated in Persian Gulf Square, Absard, east of Teheran, on November 27th. Fakhrizadeh died after being transported to the hospital by helicopter after being shot. A number of other people were also killed during the clash. Some Farsi accounts suggest that four agents were also killed.
Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was one of the most influential and high-ranking scientists in the field of scientific research in Iran. He was the only Iranian nuclear and missile research scientist that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu mentioned by name during a briefing in 2018, in which the prime minister also revealed Israel’s obtaining of Iran’s nuclear archive.
Fakhrizadeh was one of the commanders of the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) in the field of missiles in Qom. Before entering the Iranian nuclear program, he had a history of cooperation with Hassan Tehrani Moghaddam - known in Iran as the father of Iran’s missile program. Before entering Iran's nuclear program, Fakhrizadeh traveled to North Korea with Hassan Tehrani Moghaddam, and as a result, established Iran's missile program in cooperation with North Korea and Libya. He had a master's degree in nuclear physics and was the head of the Research and Innovation Organization of the Ministry of Defense before his death.
Fakhrizadeh was named as one of five Iranian figures on the list of the 500 most powerful people in the world, published by the American magazine Foreign Policy.
His name was included in the list of sanctioned Iranian figures in the Security Council Resolution 1747, passed on March 24, 2007.
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, condemned the killing, describing it "as an act of state terror". "There is a serious sign of Israel's role in the assassination," Zarif said in a statement.
In a tweet he added “The Terror attack on our scientist was indubitably designed & planned by a terrorist regime & executed by criminal accomplices. Shameful that some refuse to stand against terrorism and hide behind calls for restraint. Impunity emboldens a terrorist regime with aggression in its DNA.”
Esmail Ghaani, Quds force commander, said: “The enemy is not manly enough to fight a battle with Iran directly. The demise of Israel is near and these are the last tantrums of Israel. Revenge for Fakhrizadeh's blood is coming, and it will be with the solidarity of the Iranian forces with all their formations."
Hossein Dehghan the former minister of defense, Ali Khamenei's adviser in the defense industry said “while the call for revenge is legitimate, Iran will act in a smart way and won't leave the enemies aggression unanswered. We'll determine when and where to respond.”
Dehghan has announced his candidacy for the post of Iran’s president in elections due in 2021. He is one of nine people close to Khamenei who have been sanctioned by the United States and are accused of being involved in the Lebanon and Argentina bombings.
"revenge and severe punishment"
Other officials have promised "hard revenge." Minister of Intelligence, Seyed Mahmoud Alavi, issued a statement announcing that the ministry's forces had begun identifying the perpetrators of the assassination and would take "blood revenge" on Fakhrizadeh.
"Terrorist groups and the perpetrators of this blind act should know that severe revenge awaits them," wrote General Mohammad Bagheri, Chief of Staff for the Armed Forces ,
Hussein Salami, commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, said in a message that "revenge and severe punishment" for the perpetrators of Fakhrizadeh's assassination "is on the agenda."
Tasnim, an IRGC affiliated news agency wrote: If you want to stop the rabid dog, you have to confront him. or he will attack you again. Missiles, as Iran's main response option, can hit any part of Israel from the depths of the country. From this perspective, if responding from Iran: Khorramshahr, Sajil, Emad, Qadr, and Hajj Qasem missiles could be the main options. In addition to the missile option, the Islamic Republic has other opportunities ahead of it, including Iran's presence near the borders of the occupied territories in Syria. In Lebanon, too, Hezbollah is at its best as a powerful arm of the Islamic Republic.
In a series of tweets and comments on Farsi Forums and social media, many Iranians expressed their happiness at this event , while pro-IRGC users demanded retaliation.
A number of pro IRGC users called on Iran to act wisely in its foreign policy and wait on Ali Khamenei’s call for Jihad and retaliation. Many others addressed Ruhani’s cabinet’s perceived inefficiency.
"I think Israel knows its job well."
Farsi online comments from pro-IRGC accounts:
- “Isn't the release of the spy suspicious just a few days before this crime? (referring to the release of jailed British-Australian academic Kylie Moore-Gilbert). did you release the spy without knowing what information she will take to her bosses?”
- Why this happened one day after the exchange and delivery of a Mossad spy?
- In addition to Israel and the United States, our own government must be avenged for the blood of nuclear martyrs, by JCPOA they provided the addresses of all our scientists.
- Those who vote for Rouhani contributed to the martyrdom of these proud commanders and scientists
- I think Israel knows its job well. You also made a mistake in the case of exchanging spies. I estimate that 500 to 1000 Mossad agents and infiltrators are now in Iran and are being trained for these assassinations.
- The hand of infiltrating elements is involved in this crime. There are many of them in the system.
- Isn't it time to expel the weasels, [the international nuclear energy inspectors?]
- When do you want to take revenge from these killers? how long we should stay patient? why Israel do whatever it wants and gets no response.
-Those who speak of revenge should be careful not to fall into this trap to lead the country to war and help Trump's bastard gang.
- The Zionist regime is doomed to fall sooner or later but we are the oldest country in history and will be here to see the fall of it as we have so many rogue regimes, dictators, and terrorist organization.
Farsi anti-regime accounts:
Haj Qasim was hit by a drone. Fakhrizade was hit by a blue Nissan. Throwing stones will be enough for the next one.
The users mentioned to the IRGC’s quote “ In Iran we have safety and security.”
The Mossad came to Tehran easily , took the secret documents, easily killed the second person of Al-Qaeda, and today in Absard , assassinated Fakharizadeh. You only have power to suppress us. if we protest against the conditions and bloodshed of our compatriots, our answer is the bullets of the IRGC. (اقتدار_پوشالی)
- Hard Revenge 2 is in production, Do not get on a plane for a few months. The Islamic Republic wants to take severe revenge of this assassination on the Iranian nation. ( reference to two Iranian missiles that hit a Ukrainian plane with Iranian passengers following retaliation on Qods Force Commander Qassem Soleimani’s assassination in January, 2020)
- Israel is patrolling in the heart of Iran.
- Let the war begin. All the people occupy the streets .Much faster than before. Thank you Israel. ( اسراییل_ مچکریم#)